Sign Up

Customer Care:
1300 788 970

Concessions, Government Assistance Programmes and Financial Assistance Information

You won't find anything Hidden | Just simple products, & competitive pricing.

State and Territory Governments provide rebates and concessions to reduce the cost of electricity to eligible customers. If you hold a current Pensioner Concession card, Healthcare card or Veterans’ Affairs card or suffer from diagnosed medical conditions, you may be eligible for concessions on electricity services. To find out which rebates or concessions you might be eligible for, refer to the following Government web sites: There are several government rebates and concession schemes in place. Please contact us for information on eligibility requirements and how to apply:

The Department of Human Services (DHS) offers a variety of concessions and benefits to eligible card holders to assist low income Victorians with energy bills. If you have a relevant concession card, you may be eligible for one of these concessions. For more information please visit the Department’s website or contact People Energy.

The Annual Electricity Concession provides concession card holders with a discount off household electricity bills all year round.

You may be eligible for the Excess Electricity Concession if you are an electricity account holder whose annual electricity costs are above $2,890.45 (Starting December 1, to November 30 each year. This amount is reviewed each year) and who holds one of the following eligible cards:

Pensioner Concession Card
Health Care Card
Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card

Your electricity retailer will check if you need to apply for the Excess Electricity Concession and send you an application form.

The Service to Property Charge Concession provides a reduction on the electricity on the electricity supply charges for concession households with low electricity consumption.

The Non-Mains Energy Concession is an annual rebate for eligible cardholders who use LPG for domestic heating or cooking, and/or are individually metered for electricity but who pay a caravan or accommodation proprietor.

The Medical Cooling Concession provides a 17.5 percent discount off electricity costs over a six month period from November 1st to April 30th for concession cardholders with multiple sclerosis and other qualifying medical conditions such as Parkinson's disease, Fibromyalgia and Motor Neuron disease. The Medical Cooling is given in addition to the Annual Electricity Concession. You can obtain a copy of the application form by clicking here.

The Off-Peak concession provides a 13 percent reduction on the off-peak on electricity bills.

The Life Support Concession provides a quarterly discount on electricity bills where a card holder or member of cardholders household uses certain life support machines such as an oxygen concentrator or haemodialysis machine. Non-concession households where a member of the household uses a life support machine should also complete this form to notify us that they have a machine present in their home. You can obtain a copy of the application form by clicking here.

The electricity transfer fee waiver provides a full waiver of the fee that is normally payable to the electricity retailers when there is a charge of occupancy at a property.​

This scheme provides assistance for domestic customers who are unable to pay their utility bills due to a temporary financial crisis.
The assistance is provided to low income household suffering a short term (within the last 12 months) financial crisis who are unable to pay their electricity bill and who are at risk of disconnection or restriction of supply. You may be eligible to receive assistance under this scheme if you have suffered unexpected hardship that has left you seriously short of money so you cannot pay your electricity bill without assistance and risk disconnection. Please contact People Energy to discuss the eligibility requirements for access to the Utility Relief Grant Scheme. You can find more information by clicking here.

The $250 Power Saving Bonus is now open. Eligible households can apply from 1 February 2021 until the 31 January 2022. The $250 Power Savings Bonus is a one-off $250 payment to provide direct support to vulnerable Victorian households experiencing energy bill stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Valid from 1 February 2021 to 31 January 2022. You can find more information by clicking here.

For further information on available concessions go to

The NSW Government offers a number of assistance and rebates for eligible energy consumers and businesses in NSW to help reduce energy bills. For more information please refer to

The Premier announced an energy affordability package to help households and small businesses save energy and money. The package includes rebates, upgrades to appliances and equipment, and the removal of exit fees when changing energy retailers, so you're free to choose the best deal. Go to for more information

The NSW Government has announced a new grants package and changes to the Dine & Discover NSW program to help tens of thousands of businesses and people across NSW impacted by the current COVID-19 restrictions. To know more information please visit 2021 COVID-19 Support Package

The NSW Government is helping ease the cost of living with more than 70 rebates and savings. Customers can now access more than 40 NSW Government rebates and savings in one place. Customers can book a free one-hour appointment at selected Service Centers. The service is available at

Financial counselling is a free community service provided by financial counsellors working in non-profit organisations that assist consumers who are experiencing financial problems. A financial counsellor can provide a full assessment of customers’ financial situation, including regular income and expenditure, assets and liabilities. Information as to entitlements to government forms of assistance.

Telephone No:     1300 914 408

Web site:

Concessions and Rebates

We will request information from individuals to confirm eligibility for different concessions that may be applicable.

The EAPA Scheme is designed to help people who are having trouble paying their home electricity and/or gas bill because of a crisis or emergency situation. The scheme helps people stay connected to essential energy services during a financial crisis. This scheme is not available on an ongoing basis. EAPA is only one type of assistance available and should not be considered as the only option for those unable to pay their electricity or gas bill. The EAPA Scheme operates through a voucher system.  

Information on EAPA Provider Contact List for Teleconference Assessment click here.


The Low-Income Household Rebate helps eligible low income NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills. Recipients of the Energy Rebate are electricity account holders who hold either an eligible concession card issued by the Federal Department of Human Services or the Department of Veteran Affairs. 


The rebate is for NSW customers who need or have someone living with them who needs to use approved energy-intensive medical equipment at home. The equipment must be essential for supporting life, such as home dialysis, ventilators and oxygen concentrators. The Life Support Rebate is additional to any other energy rebate to which you may be entitled. You can obtain a copy of the Life Support Rebate application form here.

The Rebate is for eligible customers who have a medically diagnosed inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extremes (hot or cold) of environmental temperatures.  It may be associated with certain medical conditions such as Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis. You can obtain a copy of the application form here.

The NSW Government’s Family Energy Rebate is one of a number of measures designed to assist families manage their energy costs. You may be eligible for the Family Energy Rebate if you have received and been assessed as eligible for the Commonwealth Government’s Family Tax Benefit A or B. You can obtain a copy of the application by clicking here.

The NSW Government has launched a new energy saver website to make it easier for households and businesses to access information and get the help they need. This new website helps households find ways to save on energy bills by providing information to help consumers understand energy use, make improvements in the home to reduce usage and understand solar and battery power.  There is also information on accessing and applying for rebates and discounts consumers may be eligible for. The website offers small businesses and households information on how to access discounts and incentives to save energy, including discounted energy efficient lighting and appliance and equipment upgrades. Visit to find out more.

The Seniors Energy Rebate helps independent retirees who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card cover the cost of their electricity bills. The $200 rebate is paid once each financial year to eligible households.  More information can be found at

Note: Approved applicants will receive the rebate from October 2019. Pensioners and veterans can apply for the Low Income Household Rebate.

Go to for complete information on concessions and rebates.

ConcessionsSA (within Department of Human Services)

GPO Box 292
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone : 1800 307 758

Fax: +61 8 8226 7047

Email :

Concession card holders who install a new solar water heater or a new electric heat pump water heater may be eligible for a $500 solar hot water rebate from the South Australian Government. To be eligible for the solar hot water rebate, you must hold at least one of these Australian Government concession cards:

  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs – Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)

Eligible South Australian residents may be able to receive a concession on their household energy bills, to assist with electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas). You may be eligible if you:

  • hold a pensioner concession card or DVA Gold Card (TPI, EDA or War Widow), OR
  • hold a Centrelink Health Care Card (including a low income health care card), OR
  • hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, OR
  • receive an eligible Centrelink allowance

In addition, the address for which you are claiming the concession must be your principal place of residence and your name must appear first on the electricity bill. For more information  please contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 or download an application form here.

On 1 January 2012, the South Australian Government Department of Human Services introduced the Medical Heating and Cooling Concession. This energy concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe exacerbation of their condition. The Medical heating and cooling concession is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession. For more information please contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 or download an application form here.

If you are having difficulty paying your account due to hardship, and you are eligible for a concession, you may qualify for a relief payment through the South Australian Government Department of Human Services Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS). To apply for EEPS  assistance, you will need to visit a financial counsellor who will make an assessment before an application can be lodged. To find a financial counsellor near you, see the ASIC MoneySmart Website

While not a concession, the Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme provides one-off emergency assistance to low-income households. To be eligible for assistance, households must have experienced a short-term financial crisis or unforeseen emergency, within the past 12 months, limiting their ability to pay their current electricity account. Assistance can only be provided once in any 12 month period and may only be provided for two consecutive years. People Energy will initiate the application process following consideration of all the eligibility criteria. Further financial assistance information can also be found by viewing the QLD Government website or visiting

The Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme assists with the electricity costs for eligible customers who have a chronic medical condition such as multiple sclerosis, autonomic system dysfunction, significant burns and severe inflammatory skin conditions. For further information and an application form contact the Department of Communities Smart Service Queensland on 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or your can download a copy of the application form here.

The Electricity Life Support Concession Scheme is a concession to assist eligible users of an oxygen concentrator or kidney dialysis machine with meeting their electricity costs. The concession is to contribute to the cost of running these machines. For further information contact Department of Communities Smart Service Queensland on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or visit the Department's website at

The Queensland Government provides an electricity rebate to eligible pensioners and seniors to help with the cost of electricity. As of 1 April 2017 the Queensland Government has extended the Electricity Rebate to Commonwealth Health Care Card holders and asylum seekers.

The card holder must the registered account holder with the electricity retailer for premises that are their principal place of residence. For more information you can contact  the Department of Communities Smart Service Queensland on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or visit the Department's website

You can also download the following applications for the Electricity Rebate below.

Financial problems affect most of us at some point in our lives. If you’re in crisis or worried about meeting your expenses, there are a lot of organisations that could help you.

If you're in financial difficulty, a financial crisis or are just looking to tighten up your budget, Salvation Army’s Moneycare financial counselling services can help.

Telephone No:    1300 36 36 22


Moneysmart is a website that provides information to help people make smart choices about their personal finances. It is created and run by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC). ASIC is the financial services regulator, an independent agency of the Australian Government.

Telephone No:    1300 300 630


Wesley Financial Counselling services provide free, independent and confidential counselling to assist people experiencing financial difficulty. 

Telephone No:    1800 007 007


The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS®) provides interest-free loans for individuals or families on low income. It’s a community-based program that enables people to access fair, safe and equitable credit for the purchase of goods and services.

Telephone No:    13 NILS (13 64 57)


There are a range of payments and services to support in an emergency or crisis situation. You may be able to get paid an income support payment immediately, even if you are not already receiving a Centrelink payment. If you already receive a Centrelink payment, you may be able to receive an advance lump-sum payment from your existing income support payment. The type of payment or assistance that you may be able to get will depend on your individual circumstances. Crisis Payment is a one-off payment to help those experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances. Community Engagement Officers assist people of all ages to get financial help and other services, if they are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless. There is also the Financial Information Service − a free, confidential service that provides education and information on financial issues to all Australians.


The NDH is not-for-profit service that helps Australians their debt problems. Professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service.  

Telephone No:    1800 007 007


Energy Information and services for households and businesses.


We have some practical tips that can help you save on your energy bill. Download a Brochure